TECHNET Archives

July 2001

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 09:20:36 +0100
Concur on this. Sn62 will definitely produce dull joints more readily than
Sn63 especially if slow cool down.

I was going to post the response below last Friday when this was more
topical, but I've been out. Now it serves as a reasonably accurate summary
of all the previous posts. [It's actually a response from my files to a
similar question from a customer]

Sn62 is required when soldering to certain Pd/Ag terminated components or
to hybrid thick films where the tracks are made from Pa/Ag or Pt/Ag cermets.
Silver is very soluble in molten tin and if plain Sn63 is used in these
circumstances then the tin can dissolve the silver in the termination or
tracking and you could end up trying to solder to alumina. This is not
possible of course. The solubility of silver in tin is very nearly
completely satisfied by the addition of 2% silver to a 6x% tin lead solder
thus avoiding this situation.

If you look into the text books you will see that Sn62 is reported to have
better mechanical strength than Sn63, the silver makes the solder harder.
Some companies have made tests in which they have determined that this
additional strength is beneficial. (Other companies making the same or
similar products have concluded there is no benefit in this additional
strength and others that this additional strength is only to be found in
text book testing situations, the joint strength on their actual products
being much the same with either alloy.

Other people claim that Sn62 makes brighter or shinier joints than Sn63.
However this is not an objective assessment or a requirement.
Personally I do not see any difference, and arguably Sn62 will make duller
joints more easily under some circumstances than Sn63.

A small number of people believe that using Sn62 is preferred when soldering
to gold containing surfaces. The reasoning given  being on the lines that
the silver will reduce the rate at which gold is removed /that the amount of
gold removed is reduced and that the joints are brighter and shinier as
before. I would like to see some evidence showing  this has been objectively
tested and measured. Presently I believe that this just increases the chance
of intermetallic formations/makes the situation more complicated than it
need be for no objectively assessable benefit.

Overall I would say for most people that it makes little difference whether
people use Sn62 or Sn63. As a user I believe I would find it hard to make a
strong, rational case to change on technical grounds and would not switch
for some imagined technical benefit.

Mike Fenner
Indium Corporation of Europe
T: + 44 1908 580 400