TECHNET Archives

July 2001

Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 10:50:23 -0700
Eric,

I don't know for sure, but I believe it is a combination of solid solution
strengthening of the tin phase and a more macro mechanism involving pinning
of grain boundaries by the Ag3Sn intermetallic phase.  I did not resolve the
deformation mechanisms as part of my research.  I was more interested in
empirical constitutive relationships of Ag (& Cu) concentration versus creep
rate because that data was not available at the time to support finite
element modeling of solder joints.

Best regards.
Ed