TECHNET Archives

July 2001

From:
"d. terstegge" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 08:40:36 +0200
Hi John,

Required magnification depends on minimum land-width for the inspected device:
>1. mm               1.75X
>0.5 to 1.0 mm   4X
0.25 to 0.5 mm   10X
<0.25 mm           20X
(data from IPC-A-610C)

Maybe you have some data about field returns ?   It would be interesting to see how many of the defects that occur at the end-users are related to those so-called defective solder joints that your inspectors see. Probably none.  Than better work on real issues !

Kind regards,

Daan Terstegge
SMT Centre
Thales Communications
Unclassified mail
Personal Website: http://www.smtinfo.net

>>> John Fahey <[log in to unmask]> 07/20 10:32 pm >>>
Do any IPC standards (particularly IPC-610-C)recommend standard
magnification, distance, and time for inspecting surface mount solder
joints?

Some of our internal inspectors can spend up to 5 mins per small PCB assy
under 30x magnification to investigate and find minor fracture in solder
joint(say 1/1000 units)supplied by our CM's. These units have already gone
through 3 rounds on 100% visual inspection at the CM. These units pass
Functional test.

My worry is that our inspectors feel that they NEED to find visual defects
in order to show that they are doing their job effectively! Unfortunately,
finding 1 defect in a batch of 1000 assemblies under high magnification
with ample time to twist and turn the board under inspection, results in us
having to do 100% inspection on every unit from our CMs!

Does anyone have any input at all on this issue?

Thanks.