TECHNET Archives

July 2001

From:
Andrew Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 08:32:26 +0100
The staining can be analysed relatively simply and cheaply using an SEM with
EDXA (note these instruments aren't particularly inexpensive but there are
companies or institutions who will do the work for you for a fee) this will
give you a an elemental map. You'll find gold, maybe some nickel and then
potentially carbon and/or oxygen  perhaps some other elements. From that a
chemist or perhaps a metallurgist, knowledgeable in the industry could
speculate fairly accurately the nature of your stain and the possibly the
source. You can then take it from there.

As to contamination vs. solderability, I doubt very much whether any really
useful information could be gathered from such a study, since staining is a
relatively random occurrence i.e. it doesn't happen to everyone's products
at the same time, for the same reasons. Over and above that there isn't that
much information on the very diverse flux systems used and their reaction
with the 'stain'. A simple study might be available or could be carried out
but it would be very, very, specific and of very limited use to anyone other
than perhaps a flux formulation chemist looking to develop an understanding
of flux activation, over a number of years.

I don't know about the effects on keypad performance.

Best regards,

Andrew Hoggan
www.bba-associates.com