TECHNET Archives

July 2001

From:
"d. terstegge" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 16:18:00 +0200
Hi Lou,

We have our solder pot analysed once every three month, and the results have always (for more than 7 years) been within IPC-specifications.
Although contamination-levels depend somewhat on conductor finishing and production volume, to my opinion your supplier is right.

Kind regards,

Daan Terstegge
SMT Centre
Thales Communications
Unclassified mail
Personal Website: http://www.smtinfo.net

>>> Lou Hart <[log in to unmask]> 07/11 3:54 pm >>>
TechNetters, I'd appreciate comments on contaminant analysis of a wave
solder pot.  We had been sending a sample out for analysis (type "C" I
think it is, by the mil spec) once per month.  Now the solder supplier is
telling me that once every six months is more than enough.  I've been
taking the contaminant data and plotting Q charts (for short-run SPC the
modern way, as I've been mentioning in this forum) with the monthly data.
 What has been your practice and recommendation?

At the moment, it is hard for me to feel comfortable with a twice-yearly
analysis of what seems to me to be an important material in our
manufacturing process.  Lou Hart