TECHNET Archives

July 2001

From:
"Busko, Wolfgang" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 14:27:11 +0200
Mike,

we are using whatīs called here in germany a "Kugeltisch".
Think of it as letīs say a saladbowl resting in a ring that allows for
tilting up to 45°. On top of it sits a bearing mounted plate that allows for
easy turn in whatever direction you want and any angle you need. Adjusting
the midpoint of your plate to the center of your vision field allows you to
"look around components" without runing out of sight.
Of course itīs made out of dissipative material ( means ESD safe) and in
addition has a vaccuum feature that allows for locking a desired position
for rework purposes.
I also tested one of their protoypes with an X-Y-sliding table mounted to
the plate but that turned out to be to time consuming mounting and turning
the boards.

I personally like this thing very much ( and I have to admit that the basic
idea to use some arrangement like described above developed in intense
discussions with the supplier of our optical equipment many years ago) but I
donīt know if something similar is available on the other side of the pond.
Here it is distributed by a small company with the focus on custom made
optical equipment and accessoires and they have problems finding reliable
distributors for other areas.
But, maybe something like that can be found in your area.

Itīs a low-priced solution thatīs fun to use and loved by our and other
operators.

Wolfgang