TECHNET Archives

June 2001

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 15:51:42 +0300
Bill,

OK, I guess we taxed you too heavily on tea! Anyway, Colombian coffee
(and other products) required fewer transport costs.

I know of no name to represent 10^15 or 10^21 other than thousand
billion (trillion), but you are quite right with the 24 exponent of
quadrillion. I don't believe I've ever seen pent-, hex- illion, either.
Maybe it becomes zillions over 10^24 :-)

I've looked up two of the best UK dictionaries (Oxford and Collins).
They both give billion as 10^12 with 10^9 mentioned afterwards under
"(chiefly US)". Oxford adds a usage note after milliard "The term
milliard has been largely superseded by billion", making it delightfully
ambiguous! Collins does not fall in this trap but defines milliard as "A
thousand million (US billion)".

George Bernard Shaw was attributed to having said "England and America
are two countries divided by a common language.".

Brian