TECHNET Archives

June 2001

From:
Charles Lawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 08:22:32 -0400
James,

I would be most concerned about the minimum electrical spacing between the
trace and the external component lead/termination.

IPC-A-610C, Appendix A, gives guidelines for minimum electrical conductor
spacing that are taken from IPC-2221 (2/98), paragraph 6.3.  I suggest
looking at Table 6-1 and paragraphs 6.3.6 and 6.3.7  Also consider the Note
in Section 9.2 of IPC-A-610C, that solder resist coatings should not be
considered as an "insulator or insulative material".

Charles Lawson
Product Assurance
General Dynamics Advanced Technology Systems