TECHNET Archives

June 2001

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 18:27:17 +0300
Lou

There is no reason why you should not clean sockets, provided you can
dry them effectively.

OTOH, I do NOT recommend you use saponifier with w/s chemistry. Why?
Saponifier is a combination of a strong organic or inorganic alkali with
some form of w/s solvent and is specifically meant for turning insoluble
cyclic carboxylic acids (e.g. rosin) into a soluble soap. You don't have
such acids in w/s chemistry. What it does mean is that your rinsing has
to get rid of this high-pH solution (generally >10) which adds to the
burden of the rinsing and contaminates your rinse water more than is
necessary. Also, the high-pH solution will be more agressive towards
amphoteric metals, notably aluminium and light alloys (electrolytic
caps, radiators etc.) amd may make your solder look slightly duller
(cosmetic). It also costs money. I suggest that, if pure water is not
good enough for you, you should use a chelating neutraliser or rinse aid
in your first stage (made by many of the flux manufacturers). This is a
much milder alkali (pH of the concentrate ~9), is cheaper, chelates the
heavy metals (which can actually precipitate in some saponifiers),
leaves beautifully brilliant joints. I very strongly recommend this type
of chemical with w/s chemistry and have had excellent results from many
clients. For thos using batch cleaning, it also has some other added
advantages and, for small-to-medium users, it can be used to avoid any
problems with waste water treatment (hold-tank technique). Have more
info if required (privately).

Hope this helps

Brian