TECHNET Archives

June 2001

From:
"Barmuta, Mike" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 07:25:10 -0700
Alejandro: You can use electrolytic plating as an overplate but that is
going to require an electrical connection(cathode) to each component, along
with a rectifier, anode, etc. This is difficult to do. I would recommend
using an electroless plating solution instead. This will eliminate all the
electrical connections and plate a uniform layer of metal over the parts.
Typically electroless nickel is used. It will provide you with a hard
overcoat and give a clear clean demarcation of the plating on the
components.
Your supplier of metallograghic equipment should be able to help you in
obtaining the plating solution and proper surface prep, if not contact your
local plating supply rep.

Regards

Michael Barmuta

Staff Engineer