TECHNET Archives

June 2001

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 12:26:16 +0100
Some time ago I was on a project in this area. It was long enough ago I can
only remember the conclusions, not any supporting data or references. It was
a production orientated project rather than a rigorous investigation, for
what it is worth:

We concluded that solder joint strength was not effected by void size until
the void was greater than 50% of the joint area. Similarly
electrical/thermal conductivity.

Our other concerns were reliability and process control.
Here we concluded that voiding over 10%  was a concern due to differential
stresses. (Not just in solder but more in die)
WE also took presence or absence of voiding from part to part to indicate
variations in surfaces, work or process parameters and worked to eliminate
them. On a production basis we set a limit of no more than 5% of total area,
with no one void to contribute more than 50% of the total voided area.

The project was die attach so geometries and so on are quite different, but
it could be that this sort of pragmatic approach might be useful in
determining process and inspection parameters to ensure consistent product
and yield.

Mike Fenner
Indium Corporation of Europe
T: + 44 1908 580 400