TECHNET Archives

June 2001

Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 09:00:18 -0600
There are a number of separate issue concerning the presence of voids in
solder joints:

1. Can voids be eliminated, or controlled to a certain minimum limit, or
reduced significantly? Process, material and equipment optimization should
be able to help.
2. Are the voids good or bad for the joint reliability? Do they make the
joint stronger? If they do then are there any limits on their sizes or their
total volume with respect to the solder ball? Are too many not good? If so,
then how many are too many?
3. If any amount of voiding is good than can that amount, and the required
void size variation within that amount, be controlled or guaranteed lot
after lot (unless any or no voids both have the same effect on quality and
reliability)?

Syed.