TECHNET Archives

June 2001

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 16:19:05 +0300
Barbara

Not really relevant to your question but slightly so. In the 1960s, when
PTHs were a novelty and I was in a different life, our standard test
procedure was to daisy-chain, on the edge of the panel, half-a dozen
holes of each diameter on the boards, minimum 0.65 mm (times have
changed!). We would connect this series of holes to a 6 V supply through
a 6 V 36 W headlamp bulb. This gave a surge current of about 20 A for a
fraction of a second, tailing off to a steady 6 A. We kept this on for
20 sec. If the connection survived this brutality, we knew the copper
plating (nominal 25 µm) and the hole quality were good. The smaller
holes did heat up a few tens of °C with this. I would conclude from this
that the amount of copper in a 0.65 mm hole was amply sufficient to
carry 1 A in service, provided the IR drop was acceptable. You could pro
rata this down linearly for smaller holes (assuming the same Cu
thickness).

Brian

Brian