TECHNET Archives

June 2001

From:
Genny Gibbard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 14:32:04 -0600
Thank you for all your answers.
Within the last year and a half, we have started embarking on several OEM
products in addition to products we market ourselves.  One of the OEM
requirements is to use a tier one contract manufacturer.  Previously we have
acted as our own CM - we have the boards fabbed at one place, sent back and
then we send them somewhere else for populating.  Our newest products have
no thru hole at all, however many of our older products usually have several
thru hole components, connectors, etc, that we hand install in house.
I joined this forum and started to realize that we have very few controls or
specs in place for our outside suppliers.  We just take what they give us.
I am not new to the co. but in a new position to the company, manu.
engineer, and have started to try to clear up some of these glaring holes in
our documentation.
On our production floor, two types of solder wire are typically available -
the Kester 44 63/37 RA core, or a no clean Kester 245 63/37 which is
classified as ROL0.  The no clean is typically only used to solder on
shielding cans or connectors that are visible to the customer, because less
cleaning is needed.  For any thru hole, in house ECO parts changes, or
installing shortages, the 44 is used.  Some of the component lands it is
used on would have had solder paste from the reflow process.
We do hand spot cleaning of the flux with M.G. Chemicals Safety Wash which
is composed primarily of ethanol and methyl alcohol.  I have been told by
Kester that the two fluxes mentioned above should not cause any problems
when mixed.
Any further input is appreciated.  We do not yet use any BGA's on our
products.