TECHNET Archives

June 2001

From:
Steve Abrahamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 14:14:23 -0600
William,

For item #7, concerning if the adhesive will lift the part during reflow
oven cure.  It is not clear whether you are doing a cure process only, or
attempting to cure while reflowing solder on other components.  The elevated
cure is an issue- because like you said it will lift components.  The
adhesive actually cures while still outgassing, and thus little voids are
formed in the joint.  Structurally not a huge problem, but if you are using
enough adhesive, you will get the lifting effect.
The Heraues PD8600002 and the Loctite formulas (3609 and 3610 at least) have
this expansion problem when curing at reflow tempreatures (215C max).  I did
read that Heraeus has a SMT adhesive formula for use with elevated cure
temperatures (ie- an adhesuve and solder paste combo process).
Hope this helps.  If you are not running a combo process, then curing at
normal temps we have had success with the Heraeus PD8600002 and Loctite 3609
for dispense, curing, and reworking.

Steve Abrahamson