TECHNET Archives

June 2001

From:
Steve Abrahamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 14:03:16 -0600
Phil,

Obviously your choice depends on your own yields and confidence level.  We
use 2DX as a process monitor tool- of course we are backing up the process
with an Agilent 5DX 3D x-ray tool for solder joint inspection.
We are not worried about low volume or shorts due to the process control of
the screen print process.  Missing balls (very rare) are caught by the
placement equipment.  Our only worries are then reduced to whether the parts
have poor solderability, and if the reflow oven is set up correctly.  Thus
we run our first five articles through 2DX to check questionable
solderability of components that often result in the formation of voids and
can be easily picked up by our 2D machine.  Once the process is set up
correctly, we sample every 10th board to ensure parameters have not changed.

Steve Abrahamson