TECHNET Archives

June 2001

From:
"Brian L. Guidi" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 15:41:52 -0400
Good afternoon techies,
     I'm hoping someone here can give me some insight into Mil-std-129 &
Mil-std-130. I have some very small parts (approx. 280 pcs., on an 18" X
24" panel, parts are approx. .400" X .300"). The parts are type 2, all
Kapton/acrylic construction, with laser skived covercoat openings, and
absolutely no plating. The parts are too small to mark, and the customer
print states: "this item cannot be physically marked or tagged, unit
container shall be marked in accordance with mil-std-129 as directed by
mil-std-130". That's it.

     I understand that the unit container must identify the following:

     Cage Code
     Customer Part No. & Revision
     Date Code

     The part I am a little foggy on is the piece/part traceability, and
parts per unit container. If this were one of our typical rigid/flex
boards, I would identify each part with a unique lot traceability number
which could be used trace each individual part back to the panel from which
it came (as required by 130). But in this case, there is no plating. Do I
still need to uniquely identify each individual part/panel, or can I group
parts from the same panel into one bag? For that matter, can I group all
parts from a production lot into one bag, avoiding the need to identify
down to the panel level? While where at it, is there a limitation to how
many parts can be placed in the "unit container"?

     Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. If you know of relevant
sections within the specs (129 & 130), please reference them. There's about
147 pages of awfully dry reading ahead, unless someone can give me some
guidance.

     Thanks in advance.

Brian Guidi
Product Engineer