TECHNET Archives

June 2001

From:
Steve Abrahamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 10:55:19 -0600
Rob,

Most of the SMT adhesive is a moisture cure material.  Typically these are
cured in an oven as the moisture is driven out of the adhesive.  At ambient
temperature the adhesive will cure very slowly.  If you clean the nozzles
daily, you should be in good shape.  Soaking in proponol will basically dry
out the adhesive and could harden it up.  Some of the more radical
chemicals, and ultrasonics can help clean.
I prefer using a small ream, an air gun, and some proponol for rinsing.  If
the adhesive is less than 24 hours old, it should be uncured, and easy to
remove.  We buy some boxes of EFD dispensing tips (they have some very small
sizes) and use them as reams to clean out the nozzles- if there are jams.
Typically, fresh adhesive is easily blown out with an air hose, and with a
rinse of proponol, and some more air, the nozzle should come perfectly
clean.  I know that both Fuji and Camelot charge an arm and leg for their
nozzles, so it pays to clean them every 12 hours, or at least every 24
hours.
If you let them get dirty, the orifice will start to close on you, and upset
the delicate balance of adhesive surface tension between the nozzle to the
board, and stringing, or inconsistent dot sizes will follow.

Steve