LEADFREE Archives

June 2001

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Andrew Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leadfree Electronics Assembly E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 14:50:22 +0100
Interestingly, whilst in Japan, I was lucky enough to discuss first hand the
drivers behind
the change towards lead-free with representatives of a Japanese electronics
giant. Conversely, their take on lead-free was that the introduction of
'local' toxic waste legislation was going to inhibit and increase costs in
the disposal of lead containing electronics in landfill. By changing to
lead-free electronics the premise propounded was the disposal of electronics
into landfill could continue without cost to the manufacturer. My assumption
was it was also politically useful to be seen to be meeting the legislative
requirements.

Andrew Hoggan
BBA Associates