DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

June 2001

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
DesignerCouncil <[log in to unmask]>
From:
David Cary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 10:31:57 -0500
Matthew Lamkin <[log in to unmask]> on 2001-06-14
07:20:33 AM asked:
>the 0v plane..
>Should it be solid copper groundplane or should it be hatched?

Every inner plane I've ever seen has been solid (non-hatched).

Many early PWB designs
used the "cherry pie lattice" (hatched) for large copper polygons on the *outer*
 layers,
using something like a 12 mil track, 24 mil grid.
This is because early solder mask didn't stick well to metal,
so the array of little square holes in the metal
let the solder mask stick to the board better.

Current design practice uses completely solid areas of metal.

You might be interested in other design tips listed in the
  independent Protel FAQ
  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/protel-users/files/protelfaq.html
.

Is there a FAQ for general PWB layout design ? It seems silly to re-duplicate
the same information over and over in product-specific FAQs. Stuff like
Current design practice makes all vias "direct-connect". The spokes of "thermal
relief" are only used for holes where through-hole components mount.

>Recently I have started to use hatched groundplane to reduce the likelihood
>of the board
>warping due to uneven copper distribution

I think you've misinterpreted something somewhere.

>The board is 4 up as:
>Top = SMT components & some tracking.
>Top inner = 0v groundplane
>Bottom inner = Positive supply signals (not a single plane, but split into
>isolated supply signals)

That's what I and most other people do for 4 layer boards.

http://fstewart.ne.mediaone.net/DaEtiCsuiPitdcrutDesignNews.shtml#ssA974D19222FDC4AD
.

--
David Cary

"Dennis Saputelli" <[log in to unmask]> on 2001-06-09 01:19:07 PM