TECHNET Archives

May 2001

From:
Eric Christison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2001 03:32:52 -0500
Phil,

Haven't heard of the book. Have you tried buying it on the net through one
of the online bookshops?

This sounds like a case of someone wanting one thing and asking for another.
I presume that the PCB will be inside some sort of casing. If I'm correct
the deceleration depends upon the stiffness of the casing and the way the
PCB is mounted (have you considered shock mounts?). It sounds like the
specifier is trying to simulate a drop from a certain height. If they are it
would be simpler just to do exactly that, drop from a certain height onto a
certain surface, a certain number of times..

Regards,

> Thankyou to all who replied to my posting.
> Some of the specs (eg duration)of the shock loading are still vague.
>  approx
> 50 ft/sec.
> Another concern is that there is a crystal oscillator on the board, and
> there are concerns on how the crystal will stand up to this shock.
> I've found out that there has been a handbook produced, 'High Shock
> Electronics Design Guide' by Mr D. Reyerson of Sandia, that would be of
> help. Is anyone familiar with this guide, or can let me know how I can
> obtain a copy?
>
> thanks,
>
> Phil.
>

> Phil Dutton C.I.D.