TECHNET Archives

May 2001

From:
"David J. Sanchez" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2001 10:53:07 -0700
I feel vindicated!

David

In a message dated 8/4/00 4:34:26 PM EST, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<< I would check out the Intel QX3 Computer Microscope, in fact I am
surprised
 that I have not seen more of them at different shops.  They cost around $70
 to $75 and are a snap to hook up via USB.  Using a 15 inch monitor you can
 get 200x magnification.  The pictures that I have seen it capture (video
 too) are really great and at that price what can you loose?

 Check out http://www.intelplay.com/home.htm

 David >>

Hi David!

A guy at work here got one of the microscopes...I must admit it's pretty
cool, but not very practical in a electronics application. It's mostly for
microscopic slides. You run into throat depth problems when you have
something bigger than a slide.

Yeah, they say that you can remove it from the stage, and hand hold it for
images, but if you try and hold it in focus at 200X power to capture a
image,
your heartbeat through your fingers will be a problem when trying to stay in
focus for a image capture. Also, from playing with the one that a fellow
worker brought here, anything higher than 100X it becomes very "pixel-lated"
in the image...that is; not very clear.

Not to say that isn't a cool toy, but not something that I would recommend
as
a tool to create high-magnification digital images of printed circuit
assembly issues...

Maybe someone can come up with some way to use this thing, but as it's sold,
it's not a good tool...just my worthless opinion. But at $70.00 there ain't
much to lose.

-Steve Gregory-