TECHNET Archives

May 2001

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2001 09:03:15 +0300
Steve

Theoretically, a heated solution may be better, but it is far less
practical than room-temperature. The disadvantages are:
1) very much greater risk of fire
2) selective evaporation of the IPA requires much more frequent solution
maintenance
3) lower ion exchange efficiency
4) complex (non-linear) temperature compensation required (which
commercial instruments do not offer)
5) reduced equipment life
6) better ventilation required
7) greater leaching of ions from substrate material, giving irrelevantly
high readings.
The one advantage is that the tests are more rapid.

As an ex-manufacturer of such testers, I advise strongly against
heating.

Brian