TECHNET Archives

May 2001

From:
Bev Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2001 10:57:58 -0400
Dear Jim,
I have toured many plants in my career and have only seen one where they
actually used these things - and then I wonder whether it was just for the
tour!

I know in the Nortel plant I used to work in that the staff were drilled
about picking up the bare boards by the edges.  We had very good assembly
yields.  And unless you deliberately fingerprinted a circuit board and
followed it through the manufacturing process and then did pull/shear,
x-sectioning or thermal cycling how would you know?  Most of the evidence
would be burned off/buried and you would not know the cause in most cases if
a problem had occurred.  And of course solderability is not the only problem
- there is also potential surface insulation resistance, etc. issues.

Personally I think banning eating and drinking from the shop floor (also a
health issue!), reinforcing common sense personal hygiene basics and
educating the staff on the importance of picking up components and boards
without touching PTH's, pads (pick up boards by the edges) and component
leads is sufficient for most applications.  I can't speak for the space guys
or in-body guys.

regards,
Bev Christian
Research in Motion