TECHNET Archives

May 2001

From:
Jeff Ferry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2001 07:56:46 -0500
Mike,

Adding to the response from Sherman. We've attempted many time to build up
thickness in the contact area by off line plating. We're not a board
fabricator so it has always been the brush plating/swab plating process.
You may be able to build up .0005", but we've found adding .002" is
difficult, if not nearly impossible.

This may sound off beat but we've had great success using a mechanical
process. We fixture the board on a milling machine and saw into the center
of the PCB edge the full depth of the contacts using a thin (.010") thick
mounted saw. We then insert and epoxy in place a wedge of circuit board
material (.012") thick to expand the area. Due to the cost it's not likely
worth it on the bare, or panel boards, but may be worth considering on
loaded boards.

May seem a bit wild and crazy but it works well.

Jeff Ferry
CEO
Circuit Technology Center
www.circuittechctr.com