TECHNET Archives

May 2001

From:
Bob Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2001 08:21:50 -0400
Does anyone have any recommendations for a small, inexpensive oven to bake
IC's with? We're an ASIC design group and build/rework our own prototype PCB
assemblies in small quantities and have decided that we need to be more
cautious with how we deal with large IC's after they have been removed from
the vacuum sealed bag and prior to reflowing them on PCB's.

After the IC's have been initially removed from the bag, I keep any unused
IC's in a plastic bag with the original bag of dessicant and humidity
indicator which never seems to show any excessive amount of exposure to
moisture. But these parts may not be put down on boards for a couple of
months and a co-worker feels that they may still be absorbing enough
moisture to be a potential candidate for "popcorning" even though the
humidity indicator shows otherwise.

A suggestion was made to just buy a "toaster oven" since we only deal with a
few IC's at a time. Any comments, pro or con, with regards to this? Thanks
in advance for any feedback.

Regards,
Bob Walker
Sandgate Technologies Inc.