TECHNET Archives

May 2001

From:
Graham Naisbitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2001 09:01:59 +0100
Pete - Pete please,

Paralene is NOT impervious. NO coating is impervious.

I agree to your concerns about the mentioned stresses, our materials have
been in use in such conditions for over 50 years - yes 50! The first
conformal coatings were used on RAF night fighters for the early radar and
wireless sets in 1940 - as was pointed out to me by engineers at (then)
Marconi in Rochester, Kent.

The stresses you mention for avionics systems is one of the reasons why
ceramic circuits were, and in some cases remain, the preference of system
builders.

As to when failures might occur, is the reason why we have to meet extended
and accelerated life/aging tests.

Regards, Graham Naisbitt

Concoat Limited                            www.concoat.co.uk
<http://www.concoat.co.uk>