TECHNET Archives

May 2001

From:
Ryan Grant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2001 16:37:36 -0600
Phil,

What you are seeing actually makes sense.  Consider the sum of forces acting
on the bubble.  If the void forms when solder surrounds it, only the
pressure difference between the top and bottom of the bubble will cause it
to move.  This will push it to the top of the joint, but it may stop half
way if the solder returns to solidus before the bubble gets to the top.

However, when the bubble forms on a surface, the pressure difference will
depend both on its geometry, or size.  Geometry being how far developed it
is from a half sphere to a full sphere.  You have probably noticed that the
bubbles in you soda drink tend to cling to the surfaces of the container.
The same holds true for a solder joint void.  The second force for surface
voids is the interface tension between the solid and vapor.  Traditional
wetting formulas assume constant and negligible vapor pressure.  That no
longer holds true inside a liquid.  The increase in pressure tends to hinder
wetting.

The Casper the Ghost phenomenon is curious; I have never seen it.  However
it kind of makes sense.  Pictures would be nice!  I'm guessing, so let me
know if I'm right or wrong.  In a V shaped hole, the void will likely be a
semicircle shape at the solder interface and may increase significantly in
volume before the solder undercuts the arc.  In an A shaped hole, as the
void gets larger, it would quickly make a second bubble like blowing bubbles
with bubble gum.  If your mouth is the bubble in the via, the bubble gum
would form the second bubble provided your lips form a diameter smaller than
the diameter of the inside of your mouth.

BTW, I have since cross-sectioned several microvias since I wrote the e-mail
below.  100% have had a void that consumed the entire via.  I'm suspecting
that voids in microvias are left over from air entrapment during screen
printing.

Kind Regards

Ryan Grant
Advanced Technology Engineer