TECHNET Archives

May 2001

From:
"<Peter George Duncan>" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2001 16:48:40 +0800
Photo-imageable seems to be the most common, but there are the other types
around as well, and what I'm trying to find out is why would a designer
choose one type over another - are there any guidelines on which type to
select for particular sorts of applications or particular sorts of
substrate materials, and having chosen one, how does said designer
determine how thick it should be?

It's not left to the PCB fabricator, is it? I've heard enough to know that
too thick a resist layer can affect solderability among other things, while
too thin a layer reduces its effectiveness.

Put it another way - if I don't specify a resist and resist thickness, how
do I gain confidence that my PCB fabricator has chosen to put the right
thickness of the right resist on my boards? Any ideas?

Best regards

Pete

                    Paul Klasek
                    <PaulK@ResMed        To:     "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
                    .com.au>             cc:
                                         Subject:     RE: [TN] Which Solder Mask
                    05/29/01
                    01:33 PM

Thought it was bit fuzzy .
Photo-I is the way, watch for undercure (too fast process) on UV,
BLISTERS THAN . Common enough when fab's are stressed .
paul