TECHNET Archives

May 2001

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 May 2001 12:58:14 +0300
Ingemar

Silica gel is a modified, expanded, form of silica and is inert. Colour
indicated silica gel is not inert: it is laced with a beautifully ionic
salt which is not going to improve a PC Assembly. It is cobalt chloride
which is blue in its anhydrous form and turns progressively redder in
its dihydrate and hexahydrate forms. All forms are water-soluble and
hygroscopic. I'd be **extremely** cautious about placing anything like
that close to an assembly or any component thereof.

Brian