TECHNET Archives

May 2001

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 May 2001 12:48:25 +0300
Chuck

It sounds as if you may either have to clean (with or without coating)
or seriously qualify the most suitable "no-clean" chemistry. These
chemistries are not born equal and some are very much less equal than
others. If the criterion of choice for it is for easiest soldering, then
this is where I would point the finger.

You have two problems here: how to save the assemblies already made and
how to prevent future ones from doing the same. The latter will be the
easier, but a lengthy and costly qualification procedure of materials
and processes will be very necessary.

Removing aged "no-clean" flux will not be a joyride, but I think it is
the only course you have to save what you already have. A very energetic
and long spray wash in, say, a Vigon A200 solution at 55°C, followed by
adequate DI rinsing would probably be your best bet. I'd aim for an
ionic contamination level of <0.25 ug/cm2. That alone may be sufficient,
but I'd do a practical test at at least 35°C and 95% (try the N.
Queensland tropical rain forests or take a holiday in Port Moresby!). If
not, then a conformal coating may become necessary, after cleaning.

Conformally coating boards with your current contamination level would
probably be totally disastrous. All it would do is to delay the onset of
problems as the moisture penetrated the coating.

What is most likely happening is that you are having electrolytic
conduction, possibly without even dendrites forming. This is sufficient
to "change bits" in a hi-Z RAM circuit, as the charge is very small for
it to leak below the zero threshold. A common mistake in PCB design with
such components is to "clump" traces together, forming longish parallel
paths with very narrow spacings. It is much better to space them as
widely as possible to fill the available space (some CAD routers will do
this automatically, if you tell them to). Remember that the danger does
not lie so much in adequate spacing as in the critical voltage
gradients, which should always be as low as possible. It may help to
place all the critical paths in the inner layers, alternating, for
example, tracks between layers 2 and 3. This reduces the risk of
crosstalk, as well, but it minimises the risk on the critical outer
layers. This is something which we may face increasingly with HDIS
circuits, as soon as the voltage gradient exceeds, say, 50 V/um.

Hope this helps.

Brian