TECHNET Archives

May 2001

From:
Lou Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2001 17:18:03 -0400
JF,
Let me ask what kind of lithium battery are you talking about?  It's been a
few years since I really worked on the things, but here are some comments.

Lithium batteries can have either a solid or a liquid cathode.

Some liquid cathode types cannot be shorted, as in a solder wave, since
they can support high enough current to heat the battery and break its
seal.

The solid cathode batteries can take wave solder, since they can only
supply a large current for a relatively short time before becoming
polarized, with attendant increase in internal resistance.  So they don't
heat up or even lose much of their energy.  As long as they don't
immediately go into an application, the batteries can recover from
polarization and work OK.   Consumer-type lithium batteries have solid
cathodes, polycarbonmonofluoride or manganese dioxide as in the standard
flashlight battery.  Electrolytes are organic liquids, with low
conductivity, since anything aqueous would react with the lithium, vigor
ously.  The seal is a polymeric material, a grommet, which can be broken
with comparative ease, although some kind of damage would like be evident
if it were being broken with any frequency.

Your battery manufacturer has, doubtless, done tests of solderability.
 Perhpas my comments can help you in your discussions with him.  Lou Hart