TECHNET Archives

May 2001

From:
Nancy Trumbull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2001 09:58:40 -0400
Do not reply to me please reply to Nguyes Quoc Khanh
Sorry,
 That I totally miss understood Nguyes Quoc Khanh  I'll re -post his  first questions again  with my reply  below   I'll stay out of it as not to confuse any one.  Again I'm sorry I guess the big red Monday Monster got my head and just would not let go.
I only have one think on my mind and it's bass time. I'm heading to the lake on Thursday. To get my fishing pole and t. box ready.  Every one have a great holiday and be careful.
Oh there 's that monster and please help Mr. Khank.
Thanks every one your great. I can't be right all the time.
Nancy T.
***********************
> NGUYEN QUOC KHANH <[log in to unmask]>
> FUJITSU COMPUTER PRODUCTS OF VIETNAM, INC.
> PCBA MANUFACTURING DEPARTMENT-PCBA ENGINEERING SECTION
>

>>> Nguyen Quoc Khanh <[log in to unmask]> 05/21/01 12:21PM >>>
Dear Technetters,

Could any body help me with explaining the acceptable (Class 1) and process indicator (Class 2,3) level of solder ball in IPC-A-610C, section 6.5.3.1 or 12.4.10?
    * "Entrapped or encapsulated solder balls that are within 0.13mm [0.00512in] of lands or conductors" => We do not need to control the minimum electrical clearance, don't we?
    * "Entrapped or encapsulated solder balls that are exceed 0.13mm [0.00512in] in diameter." => It is acceptable if the diameter is over 0.13mm.
    * "More than five solder balls/splashes (0.13mm [0.00512in] or less) per 600mm2 [0.93in2]." => How about the upper limit of solder ball quantity?

About the defective level (Class 1,2,3), my understanding based on the explanation in the book is that if our solder ball does not violate minimum electrical clearance and is entrapped or encapsulated or attached to a metal surface, it is acceptable reagardless of diameter, the location and the quantity of the ball. Is it correct?

Every information is highly appreciated.

Thanks.