TECHNET Archives

May 2001

From:
Graham Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2001 07:11:47 -0400
Neda
It sounds to me like your engineer is folding the foam over the CCA and holding it that way, yes?  Tell your engineer to get out the textbooks and look up "Faraday cage".  If the CCA isn't bagged in a static shielding bag (and the bag closed by folding or ziplock) then all the engineer is doing is pretending to care.

Plus, as has been already noted, the board should be handled by the edges.

Our standard for moving boards anything more than a few dozen feet is to have it bagged, and the bag put in an envelope of pink bubblewrap.  Perhaps overkill but better safe than sorry.

http://www.esda.org/ for the Electrostatic Discharge Association - more info there.

Good luck, and bring a big stick!

regards

Graham Collins
Process Engineer, Litton Systems Canada, Atlantic Facility
(902) 873-2000 ext 6215

>>> [log in to unmask] 05/21/01 02:30PM >>>
** High Priority **

Hello everyone! I need help settling a dispute. I am aware of the fact that the pink foam designed for packing esd sensitive assemblies helps eliminate the possibility of a charge being generated during a transport while cushioning the product but I have an engineer telling me that the assemblies are safe if holding  the assembly in hand while ungrounded as long as the foam separates the hand at the point the pcb is held. If someone knows this to be true please send me more information on this because this contradicts what I have always been taught and what I am teaching. I need your help ASAP!

TIA, Neda