TECHNET Archives

May 2001

From:
Kathy Kuhlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2001 16:50:39 -0500
Daniel,

I have found that flying probe testing can be a big benefit for prototypes, small runs, very complex assemblies, in-process verification.  Really any situation when you really don't want to invest into fixturing.  The drawback is processing time.  The tester I had experience with was used for very small production runs, prototypes, and for surface mount first article inspection for part values.  In these situations it was a real good deal.  Do not think that this machine is very fast though for any amount of volume.  We also had some problems with the shop air having small amounts of moisture and oil which would take the machine down until new filters could be fitted.

Kathy

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" http-equiv=Content-Type> <META content="MSHTML 5.00.2614.3500" name=GENERATOR></HEAD> <BODY style="FONT: 10pt Haettenschweiler; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px; MARGIN-TOP: 2px"> <DIV>Daniel, </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>I have found that flying probe testing can be a big benefit for prototypes, small runs, very complex assemblies, in-process verification.&nbsp; Really any situation when you really don't want to invest into fixturing.&nbsp; The drawback is processing time.&nbsp; The tester I had experience with was used for very small production runs, prototypes, and for surface mount first article inspection for part values.&nbsp; In these situations it was a real good deal.&nbsp; Do not think that this machine is very fast though for any amount of volume.&nbsp; We also had some problems with the shop air having small amounts of moisture and oil which would take the machine down until new filters could be fitted.&nbsp; </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Kathy</DIV></BODY></HTML>