TECHNET Archives

May 2001

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2001 19:12:45 +0100
This may or may not be useful, (probably a mental file away just in
case). In a previous existence we did some work on cutting various
Duroids with CO2 lasers. The results were excellent, with very clean
accurate edges no tearing or vertical displacements of tracking etc.
Our customer -working on very high frequency rf stuff - was delighted.
The bad news was in two related areas:
1) IT was fairly costly compared to mechanical cutting.
2) The tracking on the boards was not as accurate as our laser tables,
with cumulative errors on the circuits across the panel in particular,
in both x and  y and even theta on some, naturally this added further
to cost as  this meant we had to reset for each circuit in the panel.
Probably some of this was due to some dimensional instability in the
Duroid, and some to the fact we were observing tolerances called out
in drawing but the original fabricator was not.

Mike Fenner