TECHNET Archives

May 2001

From:
Tegehall Per-Erik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2001 13:04:27 +0200
To be more specific, the tests were originally designed to accelerate
corrosive degradation processes on contact surfaces. They were developed in
a hugh research programme led by the Battelle Institute in the eighties.

For corrosion of contact surfaces the test methods were proved to be
relavent and the acceleration factors are only valid for that case. For
other types of corrosion mechanisms, the relevance of the test has not been
evaluated to my knowledge. Since contact surfaces are not conformally
coated, conformally coated samples were included in the original work.

Electrochemical migration, which is on of the major failure mechanisms that
you want to prevent by conformally coating, would not be cover by the MFG
tests unless a bias is applied to the assemblies during the test.

Per-Erik Tegehall

IVF
SWEDEN
Phone: +46-31-706 6148