TECHNET Archives

May 2001

From:
"Ingemar Hernefjord (EMW)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 09:35:50 +0200
Our companies have been using hundreds of tons of Tin and Lead and the company has  made many millions of boards and still few have ever seen whiskers on a PWB. It seems to me that whiskers occur more frequently on components, on terminals, on leads, wires, washers, contacts,  connectors and other parts with mixed geometries, bends, mixed materials, irregularities and structures that are not like the 'singularity' of  PWBs. It also seems as forces that develop in the construction (e.g. large CTE mismatch) will enhance the creation of whiskering. I have tried to understand what Jong and others have written in the matter, and it all seems to be something that occurs on atom level rather than in the understandable and visible macro world. All that I have found seems to be based on empirical runs with different Tin thickness (Jong means that thinner than 0.5 microns= no problem / thicker than 10 microns= no problem)and varying Lead alloying (Jong means adding 1-3% Lead eliminate!
s whiskering)but no deeper thermodynamic or chemical or other studies seem to have been done. So, if we don't know the basic driving mechanism we will still get surprises, don't we?

Ingemar Hernefjord
Ericsson Microwave Systems