TECHNET Archives

May 2001

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2001 14:10:54 +0300
Michael

The island is Cyprus. The phenomena of desertification you describe are
mainly in the S and SW Sahara. Our sandstorms come from NE Sahara (N.
Egypt and Libya). I believe that the increased frequency is probably due
to the cyclonic wind pattern increasing. The average barometric pressure
lows in the Eastern Med seem to have dropped a couple of millibars and
the anticyclonic highs have increased slightly, as well, over the past
40 or 50 years. I think that this may also be symptomatic of climate
change, although I cannot be categorical.

Believe it or not, but the hurricanes which hit the Caribbean and
Florida/Georgia/Carolinas have their origin in a Saharan sandstorm.
Transoceanic dust transport is a common phenomena. I have seen glacial
ice cores in Switzerland with strata visible from dust transport from
many sources, some from thousands of km away. In fact, depth dating is
done from the presence of volcanic dust, such as Krakatoa, Mt. St.
Helens, La Soufrière and, more recently, Montserrat and Pinatubo. I
believe that the 79 CE eruption of Vesuvius is also an important one,
although I haven't seen an ice core that deep.

When I was a student in Edinburgh, probably 49 or 50, I remember the sun
and moon both turning bright blue one day. This was ascribed to a dust
aerosol resulting from major forest fires in Canada.

I'm not, by any means, a marine biologist, so I cannot really help re
seaweed decomposition. I should imagine that there are three different
mechanisms for wrack, tidal algae and totally submerged algae, the
latter being largely anaerobic and methanogenic.

Brian