TECHNET Archives

May 2001

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2001 12:58:56 +0300
Peter

You are quite right that "democracy" means roughly the same as "urban
plutocracy" nowadays.

Singapore is, indeed, an exceptional island, happily without much of the
violence that other cities of similar size may offer today (thanks to a
draconian application of the law, with a virtually non-corrupt police
force and judiciary system). However, where I do take issue with you is
the term "managed jungle": this is an oxymoron. If you go to that little
patch on Sentosa or the slightly larger one at Bukat Timah (not sure of
the correctness of this name, as I'm typing from memory and it is
several years since last I was there), neither bears any resemblance to
the real Malaysian rain forest. Why, you can barely even find a
mosquito, let alone a tiger! The island lacks diversity of species,
IMHO.

I must admit, village-dweller that I am, that butchering and cleaning my
own animal foodstuff is not really my cup of tea. If one employs a
builder to make a house or an electrician to wire it, cannot we employ a
butcher to do the unpleasant part?

I won't go so far as to predict we are on a slippery slope to the
destruction of this planet. We may be making it a lot more unpleasant,
though, even with the marvellous recuperative powers of nature. What we
should heed is the fact that natural recuperation is possible only up to
a point - if we pass that point, then it can never happen. As an
analogy, take an endangered species. It requires a minimum population to
be sustainable. Below that, it will die out. Above a given level of a
specific type of pollution, then recovery will become impossible. In the
realm of climate, an example is the thermohaline circulation (the
"Atlantic conveyor belt") in the N. Atlantic. If the N. polar ice cap
did melt beyond a given level, it is possible that this would cease
altogether and probably permanently. If this did happen, it is probable
that the Gulf Stream would grind to a halt and on a more or less
permanent basis. This would drop W. European temperatures by several
degrees and raise sub-tropical temperatures in the Caribbean region with
imaginable consequences. The circulation may restart after a full ice
age, but we are not able to predict this.

I agree that natural forests (not man-made) are necessary for the
sustainability of life and everything we can do to preserve them should
be done. However, I do not believe that the balance can be restored by
forest conservation alone. We must primarily reduce the damage that we
do as well as, secondarily, to conserve the palliative factors.

I believe that there is one real cause of all these things: GREED.

Brian