TECHNET Archives

May 2001

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2001 12:38:39 +0300
Ryan

As someone who is VERY closely concerned (and has been for donkey's
years) with the pollution, physics, chemistry, meteorology and
climatology of the atmosphere, I must say that some of your points are
valid, but, by any means, not all of them, by a long chalk. I agree we
do not have absolute scientific proof of climate change, but the
circumstantial evidence is great and growing more convincing every day.
The first point is that "global warming" is not used in scientific
circles (other than in the term GWP or global warming potential),
because, although the mean global temperature (determined on a 5.6° X-Y
grid and 500 m vertical interval, commonly used in global meteorology)
is increasing, there are many microclimates which suffer from a decrease
of temperature. There is absolutely no doubt though, in my mind, that
the mean T is increasing. The big x is why? I think the answer is best
demonstrated, not by the change in mean temperature, but by the **rate**
of change. Never, since reliable determination of climatic conditions
over the last 10,000 years by dendrochronology and ice core samples, has
the mean temperature varied so fast as it is doing today (so you see, we
don't rely just on blokes peeking at a thermometer). The telling thing
is that the global mean temperature (on a 10 year running average, to
iron out ephemeral weather phenomena like volcanic activity and El Niņo)
correlates mathematically to a fractile probability of >0.95 with the
CO2 content, even to the dip of the 39-45 war when, strangely, less
fossil fuel was burnt.

Certainly, we don't have all the answers. You should ask Dan Albritton
or some of his colleagues, for the real answers, which are far too long
and complex to discuss here. Atmospheric science has advanced enormously
over the last decade or so with three-dimensional modelling of the
phenomena (this is why your weather forecasts today are much better than
they were 20 years ago). Please don't be too hasty in condemning the
good work done by these scientists who have a difficult enough task
(there are literally many thousands of parameters which can influence
both weather and climate) and we don't even know all the sources and
sinks of CO2, or any other substance for that matter.

If you really want to learn the basics of atmospheric science (including
a tiny chapter on climate change), I suggest the very readable (for a
scientific book) "Atmosphere, Weather & Climate" by Roger G. Barry and
Richard J. Chorley, 7th edition, Routledge, ISBN 0-415-16020-0, 409 pp,
about 30 bucks worth. Believe me, my copy is well thumbed, indeed. When
you have absorbed it open-mindedly from cover-to-cover, come back here
and we'll continue the debate.

In the meanwhile, I ask you to consider three things:
1) When Rowland and Molina proposed the notion of ozone depletion, many
pooh-poohed the idea much as, today, many do the same for climate
change. Nowadays, 26 years later, no open-minded person will contest the
science of ozone depletion as determined both theoretically and
empirically. Yet, when the Vienna Convention and the Montreal Protocol
were signed, we had only a strong supposition, based on less scientific
knowledge then than that we have of climate change today. But thank God
for those politicians and bureaucrats who did listen to the scientists
and their since-vindicated beliefs in 1987, which allowed the Protocol
to be signed and ratified. Without it, our world would have certainly
been much less liveable-in already, let alone by 2050.
2) I, for one, do not wish to jeopardise the lives of millions of
Bengladeshi and others living in low-lying lands in impoverished
countries, just because there may be less than 100% scientific proof.
The potential loss of barrier reefs is certainly serious. The economic
loss of the chain of islands extending along the Eastern US seaboard
will not be important, comparatively speaking, because the USA is rich
enough to save some artifically and sacrifice others. But the
inhabitants of the Maldives and the Andamans do not have the resources
to save their habitat. Do you want to take the risk of making poor
countries even poorer, or that they disappear altogether?
3) Let me tell you how we, the consumers of fossil fuels, can take all
the necessary precautions against the hypothetical risk of climate
change and in such a way that the economic cost to the global
collectivity (developed and devloping countries alike) is reduced. It is
no miracle, just real and sound commonsense. Let us invest a few
zillions of dollars into sustainable engineering. This does not mean
using solar panels and running our cars on biomass. This does not mean
turning the Mojave desert into a wind farm. This does not mean reducing
pollution from industrial processes. This does not mean recycling our
resources. This does not mean running cars which are leaner and meaner.
Or any one of a hundred forms of sustainability. It may mean ALL of
these things, though! And who is going to pay for this zillion dollar
investment, if it costs nothing to the collectivity? All of us, of
course, BUT every cent will be recoverable within a short time, despite
the high unit cost of many of the alternatives. How? By the enormous
reduction of health costs. If we can reduce the level of pollutants in
the air by just 10 or 20%, the number of cases of pneumonia, emphysema,
lung cancer, asthma and many other diseases will drop dramatically, to
the extent that thousands of hospitals throughout the world will no
longer be needed. Just to take one example, over the last 25 years,
pulmonary disease in New Delhi has increased 30-fold. Even accounting
for the fact that 25 years ago, a proportion of victims who would be
diagnosed today, would not have been diagnosed then, the statistics are
really dramatic to the extent that I ask the question, "Can we afford
NOT to reduce fossil fuel consumption for this reason alone?".

Sorry! If you haven't got the message, I do not quite share your
opinions!!!

Brian