TECHNET Archives

May 2001

From:
Bev Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 14:49:36 -0400
1) Somehow I missed the "No technical content rule" for the title, but I
will adhere to it in the future.
2) My one liner (see thread below) was a very calculated sentence.  You will
notice I used a good chemist "weasel" word - might.  I was hoping to spark a
good technical discussion on global warming.  This is something that could
affect us all in our jobs (technical) and in our daily lives with our
families.  I have made the topic one of my hobbies and am trying to collect
as much information on the subject as possible.  And since any human
activity, including the electronics industry, could be contributing to the
phenomena, I thought I would see what I could precipitate.

  OK, let me see if I can jump start this again.

  I am not even sure I believe in man-made global warming.  How's that for a
provocative statement?  However, if it does exist, I don't want to leave a
mess for my children and grandchildren.  As a result I think we should act
responsibly and do our best to conserve and change our spendthrift ways.
Canada is, I think, the biggest offender on a per capita basis and yet here
we are trying to claim credit for the carbon sink of pre-existing trees!

  So, to get to the technical part, assuming mankind can have an actual
effect on the whole process, how do you think that the electronics industry
is contributing, both good and ill to the situation?  Diatribes,
suggestions, statements ,etc. gladly accepted, as long as it ties into the
electronics industry.

  Let the games begin.

  regards,
  Bev Christian