TECHNET Archives

May 2001

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 May 2001 14:09:34 +0300
Gabriela

Well, I never knew the pterodactyls invented jet propulsion :-)

I find this theory a little far-fetched. If methane production rose to
that extent, I would have thought that a natural balance would have
occurred long before it got to catastrophic proportions for the
beasties. Unless, that is, Mr Heinz suddenly started a massive global
distribution of baked beans for dinosaurs. Apart from that, ruminants
like cattle have a very complex digestive system for breaking down
cellulose into a metabolisable form. This produces anaerobic digestion
which is why they are excellent sources of methane. A reptile's
digestive system is simpler and it would seem likely that the
herbivorous dinosaurs would not be able to digest cellulose, any more
than we can, so that the faecal matter would pass through with very
little anaerobic digestion and consequent methane production. IMHO.

Brian