TECHNET Archives

May 2001

From:
DUTTON Phil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2001 11:38:43 +1000
Hello Colin,

We use Protel99SE here, so I can help you out there, if needed.
I personally find it very good to use.
We have also designed some boards with 1mm pitch BGAs. Some of the
manufacturers, like Intel, have some good information on their web sites
regarding designing PCBs to accomodate them.
We've found that using the Non-Solder Mask Defined pads are the way to go.
For the 1mm pitch device that means a 0.4mm ball pad, 0.55mm soldermask
window and .125mm traces.
Hard thing is the via size, 0.56mm with a 0.2mm hole. (on the edge of
technology here in Aust.)You will find it hard to find a manufacturer.
Haven't tried it, but I believe that using square pad vias can help the fab
shop out a bit.

regards,

Phil.

Phil Dutton C.I.D.