LEADFREE Archives

May 2001

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Ryan Grant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leadfree Electronics Assembly E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2001 15:09:57 -0600
A full metal jacket on the bullets begs the question, just how much lead is
actually exposed for supposed dissolution?  Admittedly some will be exposed
if the bullet splinters or compresses, but NOT much.

However, it is common for gun enthusiast to use full lead slugs for target
practice because lead slugs are much cheaper than copper jacketed.  The lead
also reduces barrel wear because the surface melts as it travels down the
barrel.  I does make for nasty cleaning and more frequent jams.  I don't
know what the military practice is; of whether or not they use separate
bullet types for the practice range and actual conflict, but even if they
did use lead slugs for target practice, lead leakage is still subject to all
the original arguments that it doesn't measurably contribute to lead levels
in the water.

Not that I want to complain about the added engineering opportunities
associated with lead-free, but articles like that give me the sinking
feeling that the doom of full blown unscientific environmentalism is
impending.

Thanks

Ryan Grant
Advanced Technology Engineer