LEADFREE Archives

May 2001

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Charles Dolci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Dolci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2001 09:11:23 -0700
I wonder about this exemption and how effective it will be in the real world
since the exemption only applies to the particular end use of a system, and not
the components that go into that system.
Microprocessors are not exempt, only microprocessors that just happen to end up
in servers, etc. will be exempt. ASICS are not exempt, only ASICS that happen to
end up in servers, etc.
So the question then is "Will a manufacturer of microprocessors, ASICs,
whatever, make a leaded version of its product for its customers that buy them
for use in servers and a lead-free version for its other customers?" If I am a
manufacturer of servers and I want to use leaded components and solder on my
boards where do I go to get my components if all my suppliers have had to switch
to a lead free product because 90% of their market doesn't enjoy the exemption?
What happens if some of my suppliers go fully lead-free and others do not? Can I
mix and match such components on my boards?

It's kind of like banning the use of gasoline in all automobile engines but
exempting ambulances. Who is going to run a refinery just to produce gasoline
for ambulances and then what is the price per gallon if they do?

Am I missing something about this exemption?

Charles F. Dolci
Director, Environment, Health & Safety
Sun Microsystems