LEADFREE Archives

May 2001

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Harvey Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leadfree Electronics Assembly E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2001 20:16:58 EDT
But Gordon, don't you agree that explicit exemption of "servers, netwotk,
communications equipment, etc." is a breakthrough.  I don't think that
politics permitted a complete reversal of lead-free at this stage.

When you consider all the factors-- this new duplicate (at least ) track now
being called for-- with all attendant costs, the enormous system reliability
issues, the complete lack of proof that lead in landfills is a threat to
human health or to life of any kind (with lots of proof to the contrary).

I know that you are not persuaded that recycling is even necessary, but a
vast recycling infrastructure for existing products-- will be built and it
will have to recycle lead.  It will be a powerful political and economic
argument for continuing to recycle lead and tin-lead solder.

I believe that the glass is more than half full on this issue, that
intelligent environmentalists will understand that banning lead in solder
will harm the environment by greatly increasing waste (shortened product
lives), increasing energy usage, introducing toxic metals that are much more
bioavailable than lead.  I know intelligent environmentalists who have been
persuaded.

We have to keep up the fight, at the individual country level, to defeat this
preposterous, misguided lead-free solder movement.  And we have to find a way
to help our Japanese friends gracefully climb off their limb.

Harvey Miller