TECHNET Archives

April 2001

From:
David Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 16:03:50 -0700
Here's a cuppla choices ...

430 Stainless Steel; 14-18 Chromium
This high chromium, low carbon stainless steel has good mechanical and
physical properties, good corrosion resistance to many dilute organic acids
and very dilute salt solutions, and has excellent resistance to nitric acid.
It withstands destructive heat scaling up to about 1550° F.
Type 430, when welded, is susceptible to grain growth with some loss in
ductility and toughness. For this reason it is not recommended for welded
sections which will be exposed to shock or vibration in service.
Because of it's strength, toughness, and resistance to heat oxidation, as
well as chemical and atmospheric corrosion, type 430 is used in range oil
burners, heat exchanger flues, oil and gas furnace combustion chambers, and
annealing furnaces.
Type 430 is magnetic.
Base metal melting point = 2600° , Annealing temperature = 1400°
304 Stainless Steel; 18-8 Low Carbon
This grade is similar to type 302 except that a maximum carbon content of
.08% is guaranteed. The lower carbon content was developed to minimize
susceptibility to intergranular corrosion which may result from the carbon
separation that takes place in high carbon 18-8 alloys when the metal is
heated within the temperature range of 900° - 1650° F. In welding, this
temperature gradient is always encountered a slight distance on each side of
the weld, in which area carbide separation takes place.
Type 304 is especially recommended for welded construction where severe
corrosive conditions are encountered, such as in the dairy, chemical, paper
and textile industries. This low carbon grade is not ordinarily required for
welded construction subjected only to atmospheric conditions.
Type 304 is non-magnetic.
Base metal melting point = 2550° , Annealing temperature = 1800°
Galvanized Steel
This is a standard commercial quality electro-galvanized steel sheet which
has been electrolytically zinc coated in coils by modern methods. It's zinc
coating is so completely bonded to the base metal that it will not flake or
peel under the most severe forming or drawing operations. It is available
with a plain commercial finish where further processing is not required or
bonderized for enameled, lacquered or painted parts.
Galvanized steel has a silver grey matte finish, generally acceptable on
interior parts. Also has good corrosion resistance, again for interior parts
where added rust protection is required.
Base metal melting point = 2750° , Annealing temperature = 1400°
Electro-tinplated Steel
.25# coat, matte finish, T-1 hardness. Excellent forming qualities,
therefore utilized often for metal plates to be embossed. Also, good
paintability, particularly with matte finish.
Electro-tinplate is an inexpensive material with excellent properties for
stamping applications.
Base metal melting point = 2750° , Annealing temperature = 1400°

Dave Fish