TECHNET Archives

April 2001

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 12:50:31 +0300
Phil

Above all, do not be misled into thinking that silicone materials, being
rubbery, will transmit shock less. Nothing is farther from the truth:
many silicone rubbers are almost totally incompressible in the short
time scale. Any mechanical energy imparted to it by a short duration
shock will be dissipated almost entirely within the components, to their
obvious detriment (super-bouncing ball effect, where almost no kinetic
energy is dissipated in the rubber, allowing it to rebound multiple
times).

Brian