TECHNET Archives

April 2001

From:
DUTTON Phil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 17:50:11 +1000
Hello Technetters,

I am soon to design a PB for one of our customers that will be required to
withstand a shock load of approximately 1500 g's.
Does anyone have any guidelines or advice on how to achieve this?
I'm thinking of solid potting the assembly within a rigid structure as one
solution.
Components are expected to include SMD discretes and BGAs.
Of course there's the consideration of how hard the potting compound needs
to be and what it should be (epoxy, silicone elastomer), as well as what
material the board should be made of, CTE considerations between the board -
components - compound - housing etc.
Any advice would be most welcome.

Phil Dutton C.I.D.
Senior CAD Technician